To ensure that data is accurate and that you do not lose data, it is critical to check that:
- the date and time on the PDA is correct;
- the batteries are always charged;
- install the CyberTracker application onto CompactFlash or SD memory card to safeguard against data loss.
Important: ActiveSync will automatically synchronise the date/time of the PocketPC to be the same as the date/time on the pc computer. Check that the computer date/time is correct, to ensure that data entries recorded in the field have accurate dates and times.
You may connect a GPS to the PDA with a cable via the serial port, use a Bluetooth GPS, or use a PDA with a built-in GPS (see Hardware for recommended GPS units). CyberTracker version 3.0 supports the NMEA format, as well as the TSIP, which is the Trimble GPS format. For recommended GPS units, CyberTracker will automatically detect a the GPS signal and record a GPS position.
Navigating in CyberTracker
The following are the buttons used in CyberTracker:
Options: The Options button is used to edit data points already saved (see Editing Data in the field).
GPS: The GPS button allows you view the GPS position, signal strength and satellite positions.
Save 1: The Save 1 button saves the data point (and takes a GPS reading if enabled), then takes you back to a previous screen in the sequence.
Save 2: The Save 2 button saves the data point (and takes a GPS reading if enabled), then takes you back to a previous screen. The Save 2 destination screen is usually not as far back in the sequence as the Save 1.
Back: The Back button allows you to go back to previous screens in the sequence before saving the data point or taking a GPS reading, erasing the entry in the present screen.
Next: The Next button takes you forward to the next screen, to continue to add information to the data point before saving it.
History List: If your sequence was made with text-only screens, the top of the screen will show the title of the current screen. However, in text and icon screens, the top of the screen shows a History List, a record of the path of screens taken to reach the current screen. Each of the icons represent Elements selected from the screens, and they will all be recorded as part of one data point.
- To edit data previously entered on the PDA, select the round Options button on the Navigator in the bottom left corner of the screen.
- The last sighting will be displayed in the Sighting tab. To find an earlier sighting, select the “All Sightings” tab. Look for the time when the sighting was made.
- If Elements have been given Icons, the icons will show what has been recorded in each sighting. After selecting a sighting, go back to the Sighting tab to confirm the details of the sighting. If it is not the correct sighting, you can scroll backwards or forwards to find the correct sighting.
- Then select the “Edit” button. Use the Back button to delete information, and then enter the correct information as if you are recording the sighting.
- When you have completed the changes, save the sighting by tapping the Save button , or cancel the changes by tapping the Cancel button .